The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book. Joe Abercrombie has been described to me as a writer of "dark" and "cynical" novels, but I discovered long ago that books don't strike me as dark and cynical the same way as most people. In any case, this series came highly recommended so I gave it a shot.

For the most part, I felt that the book was very well-written, even though the story was a little weak for my taste. It most definitely had that "first book to a series" feel for me, but to make up for it, the author has accomplished great things in character development. I might not have been as absorbed by the story, but the characters are fantastic. Whether I despise or admire them, each person in the book has a side to them I am interested in pursuing. To have a bunch of them together at the end preparing for a journey is a promise of some interesting character dynamics and interactions to come.

While a part of me is genuinely intrigued by the story and curious about what might happen next, I think my fascination with this cast of characters is my main motivation for continuing with the series.