Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson I really wanted to give this book a higher rating, I really did; in fact, I even started to thoroughly enjoy myself towards the end when things really picked up, but by then it was a little too late. I had a hard time getting through the beginning of the book, trying to make heads or tails of the characters, events and places. The author lets you "puzzle" these together, which I normally wouldn't mind so much, if only the pieces were laid out coherently. The problem was that there's a lot of jumping around, and a huge cast of characters is introduced in a short period of time. Things didn't "click" with me until I was around 20-25% through the novel.

Whenever I start a book, I like to get a good feel for the protagonists early on. Once you get me to care about what happens to them, then I can start to care about the rest of the story. With all the confusion of the first quarter of the book, I didn't feel a connection to any of the characters at all. This likely went on to affect the rest of my experience.

Despite all this, I think I'll give this series one more chance. More than one review I've read has said book one reads more like an "intro", and that things start to get better and make more sense in the second one. I'll put Deadhouse Gates on my to-read list for now, and hope those reviews are right.