The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory I saw the movie before I read the book, though it was a couple years ago and I've forgotten a lot of the details. No matter, I was familiar enough with the history of the Tudors and Henry VIII to know what to expect, though I'm aware of the many historical inaccuracies in this novel. Authors taking liberties with history in a HISTORICAL FICTION doesn't usually bother me though, I can forgive a lot for the sake of a good story.

And indeed, there's a good story in The Other Boleyn Girl, and I liked the unique approach it took by telling the familiar Anne Boleyn story from a different point of view, more specifically from the perspective of Mary Boleyn, the lesser known sister. However, it was clear to me by the halfway point that Anne is still the main character of this story, and even though Mary continues to narrate, she takes a backseat for the rest of the novel. For me, this was both good and bad. While I enjoyed following Mary's point of view, I can't say I liked her character very much; her meekness and simpering at court and crying all the time got a little hard to take. Anne on the other hand, despite being a big bitch you want to strangle, is at least delightful in her fieriness and arrogance. She's the villain you love to hate, and whether positive or negative, the emotions her character evoked from me were much more powerful than what Mary could ever manage.

One last thing -- I can't say I recall from the film the constant reminder every step of the way that the two girls were nothing but tools for the Boleyn family, chattel to be bought or sold to benefit their Howard uncle. I thought that was an effective theme for the book, but at the same time I also felt that it was needlessly overdone.