Blood Rites - Jim Butcher Wow, this was a great one, and not just because Jim Butcher dropped a great many bombshells in this book. I have a feeling that this is the point where the series takes another serious turn for the better. So much more of Harry's character is developed, which in my opinion is the best part. By now he has established himself as a solid protagonist, and really, when I think of the first three Dresden Files books they just pale in comparison to this one. No contest.

I really enjoyed the first half of this book, because I love seeing Harry do investigative work. I've always felt that the mystery was lacking in this series. The beginning of "Blood Rites", however, saw him going back to his detective roots, investigating a mysterious string of deaths on an adult film set. I mean, how could this not turn out to be a great story? I admire Jim Butcher a lot for his ability to throw together something that promises much action and humor.

Everything went well until the second half where he and Murphy and Kincaid go vampire hunting. The plot line strays and leaves the mystery behind at that point, easing back to embrace more of the action/thriller elements. I still had a good time up to the very last page; the difference is, I know I'll remember the first half of the book for a very long time. On the other hand, the ending didn't make much of an impression. Still, a good read overall.