Small Favor - Jim Butcher It was this book that also made me realize the series is becoming more about the overarching drama that is Harry's life, and less about the individual stories within the novels. In this way the series reminds me of TV shows that start off as monster-of-the-week and gradually evolve into complicated soap operas over time.

I've always loved the drama in Harry's life, but this is the first time I've felt bogged down by it. The entire story was a rather confusing affair. Even as urban fantasy mysteries go, Dresden books are usually characterized by a string of events that follow logically from one to the next. He might not be doing much detective work anymore, but things generally unfold in a way to bring all the pieces together in a way that makes sense. I didn't get that so much from this book. Several loose ends were explained away in a convoluted manner or simply not touched upon at all.

I also didn't much care for the ending, but that's just me.

All in all, I liked Small Favor, but remembering how good some of the previous installments of this series had been, I just can't give it the same high rating.