Mass Effect: Deception - William C. Dietz Hard to believe, but I have actually read worse. Which is why this book isn't getting the one star treatment from me that many other reviewers have chosen to give.

But I'm probably being generous. After all, I was aware of the many errors and lore screw-ups that exist in this book, but I mostly chose to ignore them as I was reading. Granted, I give you that there were a few glaring, unforgivable mistakes. But quite honestly? You probably won't even notice most of them unless you're a hardcore Mass Effect fan going over the book line-by-line with a fine toothed comb. And a lot of them are so trivial that it makes no difference to the story anyway. I had the added benefit of reading the previous ME books a while ago, long enough for me to not remember the finer details anyway. As such, I was willing to let a lot of the errors slide.

Still. Errors aside, this book was just pretty bad. Mostly because it's poorly written, at least in my opinion. After all, how could a book with this much action in it yet be so boring? The writing is dry, unimaginative, unsophisticated, crude, clumsy. It's like Dietz barely even tried. To me, that's the biggest departure from the previous ME novels written by Drew Karpyshyn. At least you could tell DK cared about the IP; it's in the way he built up the world in the first three books, and in the manner he treated and developed his characters.

In any case, I found myself constantly drifting off while I was trying to get through this book, and was relieved when it was finally over. The way it went, I couldn't have cared enough to spot many of the lore mistakes while I was reading anyway, as I was too busy trying to stay awake.