The Heroes - Joe Abercrombie There must be something about the The First Law trilogy. Because while I loved those three books, I can't say I felt the same enthusiasm for Joe A's other book Best Served Cold or this one, The Heroes. It was very hard for me to give this book a low rating, but I had to be honest; I just didn't enjoy it.

Despite being packed with action-filled battle scenes, it was a struggle to get through this book without nodding off within the first thirty minutes each time I picked it up. That's probably why it took me so long to finish.

Since the book covers events over a three day period during a war, I thought this format would give Abercrombie a better chance to really showcase his characters, and make them shine the way he did with the Bloody Nine and Sand Dan Glokta in the First Law trilogy. Instead, I found them mostly dull and uninteresting. Perhaps this had something to do with the fact so many points of view are being covered in this book, but none of them really stood out as having a distinct voice. Contrast this to Glokta, whom Joe A. supplied with a very recognizable personality and thought process.

Hmm, I don't know. Maybe I just liked the First Law too much and expectations started out too high for this one.