Linger - Maggie Stiefvater This high school love story between a small town girl and her werewolf boyfriend continues. Sam, cured of his curse, settles down to his new life and looks forward to a future with Grace.

Grace, however, knows deep down inside that all is not well. Something's terribly wrong with her, something that doesn't get revealed until the end of the novel, something that's actually quite obvious and you can see coming from a mile away if you've even been remotely paying attention to the last couple of books.

Anyway, no tale of teenage love would be complete without its insurmountable hurdles, so Linger happily provides one: DISAPPROVING PARENTS! Dun, dun, dun. Grace's mom and dad, who have until now been conveniently absent in her life, start spouting the obligatory "Sam's a bad influence" and "stay away from that boy" and "you're too young to know about true love" spiels, and are appropriately condescending and patronizing about it like all good fictional disapproving parents of teenage girls in young adult novels should be.

Too bad I'm probably about 15 years too late reading this; my emo and rebellious teenage self would have eaten this book up, hook, line and sinker. However, reading this now, it just strikes me as overly hammy and melodramatic, and I think I mentioned something similar in my review of the first book.

Thank goodness a couple new characters and their points of view were added; I don't know if I could have taken a whole book of just Sam and Grace making moon eyes at each other. Sam with his song singing, poetry writing, paper crane folding. Grace with her pining for his touch, yearning for his presence, missing him every single moment they're apart. The two of them are positively sickening at times, making you want to hurl a bucket of cold water over both of them.

Isabelle and Cole are a breath of fresh air, though Cole constantly does and says things to make me roll my eyes. He's an arrogant and self-absorbed teen rock star who's done drugs, cheated on his girlfriend with groupies, hates the fact his music is wasted on a fanbase predominantly made up of preteen girls, entertained thoughts of suicide, and is angry at his genius scientist dad. Enough said. Isabelle, on the other hand, has become my favorite character in this series. I like that her personality is so different from Grace's, and that she seems to be the only one with a voice of reason who understands how the real world works. I so enjoyed the way she throws Cole's smugness back at him, or the scene where she finally made Sam see sense.

I do have to say, Maggie Stiefvater has a beautiful way with words. As young adult fiction authors go, I think she's one of the best I've read. The way she writes sets the mood perfectly for this book.