Agent to the Stars - John Scalzi 3.5 stars. Another fun read from John Scalzi, and even more impressive since this was his "practice novel" which he wrote in 1997 just to see if he could write a novel. Indeed he could.

It's classic Scalzi, light and funny with just a dash of crazy. Agent to the Stars is about Tom Stein, a young Hollywood agent tasked to figure out how to introduce an alien race to humanity. The Yherajk are ready to make their big debut, so to speak, but is the world ready for them? Oh and by the way, members of their race look like blobs of jello and communicate using odors that smell like rank farts and rotten fish. Yeah, good luck there, Tom.

On the whole this was a very enjoyable read. The humorous premise and writing will appeal to you if you like that kind of stuff, and you don't even need to be a sci-fi buff. The only issue I had was with the pacing; there was a chunk in the middle with lengthy exposition that I admit my attention somewhat struggled with. For a practice novel, though? It wasn't a big deal at all. The good parts of the book more than made up for it.