Forever - Maggie Stiefvater I know I've been pretty ambivalent towards this series in my reviews so far, but the truth is that it has been decent. Maggie Stiefvater has an amazing way with words and with setting the mood, and even though some parts have been "too YA" for me, on the whole I have to say I've enjoyed the first two books.

Still, it was a bit of a chore getting through this one. It felt like there were huge stretches where nothing happened at all, nothing but just Sam and Grace professing their love to each other in the most annoying, cringe-worthy ways.

The two main characters also seem to devolve before my very eyes. Sam felt less and less like a real boy and more like some fantasy version of Mr. Sensitive, folding paper cranes and writing lovey dovey songs and shopping for pretty summer dresses and reciting German poetry. I have to say I still prefer Sam to Cole's "tough guy" archetype, but yeesh, come on. It's a good thing this kid spent most of his life as a wolf, because he'd be eaten alive in any high school.

Grace also went from being tolerably emo to downright bratty. Her self-righteous argument against her parents would have been a lot more persuasive, except I suspect a lot of high school seniors would actually LOVE to be in her shoes of being given so much freedom and independence. I just never bought her situation, which I felt was made to sound a lot worse than it actually is.

As much as I can't stand Cole, he and Isabel pretty much saved the book. The two of them drove the story; if it weren't for them, this would have been 300 pages of Sam and Grace groping at each other.

But the worst thing about this book was how it ended. Did Maggie Stiefvater forget to write a conclusion to this series or something? There's something to be said about open endings that let the reader use their imaginations and come up with their own ideas of what happens, and they're great when an author pulls it off right. Unfortunately, it fell completely flat here.