Neuromancer - William Gibson 3.5 stars. Seminal works like this are so hard for me to rate. It's like trying to review Shakespeare, Asimov, or The Lord of the Rings. On the one hand, I'm well aware of its literary and cultural merits, that this was THE cyberpunk novel of all cyberpunk novels, that the writer William Gibson being a visionary and an author ahead of his time, the man who coined the term cyberspace.

On the other hand, I can only be honest. This was a great book. But it's also what I like to call a "you-had-to-be-there book". As in, I have a feeling I would have liked this book a lot more, had I actually been alive in 1984 reading this for the first time when it was published. It's nearly impossible for me to put myself in that mindset now, to subtract the noise of information technology, hackers and artificial intelligence in our history as well as in pop culture since that time. Basically, I don't think I can truly appreciate this book in all its glory, because I was born 28 years too late.

Yeah, I know it's a cop out, but hey, maybe I just don't want to admit that I don't get the cyberpunk genre? Sigh, okay, maybe it's because I just don't get the cyberpunk genre.