The Last Wish - Andrzej Sapkowski At present, I'm working my way through The Witcher 2 video game which is probably the main reason why I've finally decided to tackle The Last Wish, which has been sitting in my to-read list for almost two years. I am in love with the game so far, and curiosity naturally led me to the books that inspired it.

The book collects seven short stories in a "frame" format, so we have an overarching frame story and six more that are told in a flashback or a memory, each forming a story of its own. Not surprisingly, I found all of them quite enjoyable; after all, I can hardly complain about getting more Geralt of Rivia (though, I could have done with less Dandelion).

What both delighted and surprised me, however, was when I realized that the author was taking the character through several stories which were interwoven with familiar fairy tales -- albeit his own grittier, darker and more mature versions of them, and that's even compared to the originals.

Interestingly, while I was reading this, I couldn't help but compare this book and the Witcher to Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian. Perhaps it was the format, but it did have that sword and sorcery "pulpish" feel. And this was most certainly not a bad thing.