Abyss - Troy Denning 3.5 stars. Pretty much three separate stories going here: 1) Han, Leia, Jaina and the other Jedi back on Coruscant trying to figure out why some of their young knights seem to be going crazy, 2) Luke and Ben Skywalker in the Maw trying to uncover the mystery of how/why Jacen Solo fell to the dark side, and 3) the Lost Tribe of the Sith trying to fulfill their prophecy of becoming the masters of the galaxy again.

If only that third story line was as interesting as the first two, I would have given this book a higher rating. But as it is, and I can only be honest here, I could care less about Vestara and her connection with Ship, and the rampant infighting amongst her people. All her sections were boring, annoying, and didn't become significant until the last few chapters of the book.

Still, I remain optimistic about the rest of this series. After all, I had felt much the same way about Han and Leia's roles in the first book in which they were "parked" and were given absolutely nothing of import to do but waste time with a dumb side story just to keep their presence strong in the series. And yet, they have become purposeful characters now, and perhaps the later books will do the same thing for the Tribe's storyline. Here's to hoping it can only get more interesting and exciting.

On the other hand, following Luke and Ben's exile has been a surprisingly intense experience. Each book seems to have them uncovering more information about Jacen's transformation into Darth Caedus, and is probably the biggest reason why I'm still so invested and interested in continuing this series.