Replay - Ken Grimwood I love books like this that deal with time travel in an interesting way, with a touch of the supernatural and unexplained. Stephen King's 11/22/63 was kind of like this, and in many ways that book could be a considered spiritual successor to Replay. They share similar elements, themes and are both certainly in the same frame of mind.

The novel begins with the death of 43-year-old Jeff Winston, who inexplicably awakens back in 1963 as his 18-year-old college student self (the book was published in the late 1980s, which is totally amazing to me, as aside from the references to the dates, for a science fiction time travel novel it has aged extraordinarily well). With his memories of his previous life intact, Jeff thus begins to "replay" his life again. Like a time-loop, this happens again and again, with Jeff dying at 43 each time, but awakening later and later in his life, losing more time each cycle. Each of Jeff's replays become vastly different, due to his attempts to change events.

I adored the concept, but as with the danger with many great ideas, I think sometimes they can become too big for themselves. I thought this was the case with this book. I have to say the ending was a little disappointing, but at the same time it was something I'd expected; a book like this with such an original and imaginative premise, it's difficult to imagine what kind of ending would be worthy of it, with which I would have been happy. I would say that the final message, to live life to its fullest, is adequate enough. In any case, I ate this book up like candy.