Backlash - Aaron Allston I can't really think of much to say about this one. It's a Star Wars book, certainly not the best I've ever read but nor is it anywhere near the worst. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it, it was just so very conventional and uninspired. Mediocre.

I think one of the problems with this series is that while I'm sure there's an elaborate overarching plot line all planned out, the need to drag it out over a certain number of books ends up wreaking havoc with the characters and the pacing of these novels.

What's worse, when you have big Star Wars names and heavy hitters like Han, Leia, Luke, Ben, Jaina, etc. all doing their own thing in different parts of the galaxy, you need to find something -- anything! -- interesting for them to do while the plot moves forward elsewhere. This leads to much retreading of old ground, such as the return to familiar planets or tired and done-to-death SW plot elements involving a mysterious Sith or conspiring politicians.

You also get ridiculous things happening, like Han and Leia suddenly having a brain fart and leaving an 8-year-old unsupervised by herself on the Millennium Falcon on a dangerous planet. Hmm, WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?! The whole situation was set up for Allana's own little adventure in this book, but geez, do you have to make it so obvious?

I also liked it better when Luke and Ben were still focused on uncovering the secrets of Jacen Solo's fall to the Dark Side. The Lost Tribe and Vestara side plot could lead to interesting things, but right now it just feels like a cheap distraction.

Looking forward to the next book to see if things will pick up once more, and I'm excited to read something by Christie Golden again.