Empire of Ivory - Naomi Novik Much more interesting and exciting than the preceding couple of books, with a mission into Africa to boot. I've always liked how this series takes the reader to faraway places and this time Lawrence and Temeraire are off to find a cure for a dragon disease that's ravaging across the country and crippling the forces of the Aerial Corps.

I'm reading these books now more for the adventures rather than for the dragon battle scenes or the growing friendship between Lawrence and Temeraire, though those factors continue to feature strongly in the stories. I also like how the aviators have a different culture than the rest of the military, especially in how they view women in the service and in how they throw a lot of social norms to the wind. As a relative newcomer to that world, Lawrence is still in the process of learning all of this and it's often funny to read about his awkwardness and confusion.

The book ends in a cliffhanger of sorts. The bond between Lawrence and Temeraire has not been tested like this before, and I'm looking forward to see how all that pans out in the next book.