Iced - Karen Marie Moning I had serious doubts when I first heard about the author's plans for this novel. As urban fantasy series go, I thought the first five Fever books were okay and liked them well enough to want to keep reading if KMM decided to write any more books based on the characters and setting in this world.

What jarred me was when I found out that this sixth book, while continuing the Fever story, was going to star Dani O'Malley as the main protagonist and narrator in kind of her own spin-off. My first thought was, just why the hell would you take the most juvenile, idiotic and annoying character in the Fever series and give her her own novel? Several novels, actually, as it appears Dani will actually be getting her own trilogy.

As it turned out, her narrative wasn't as I thought...once you get used to her childish belligerence, naivete, her mangling of the English language and the overuse of the word "feck", that is. I even started to like it after a while. Dani is fourteen years old, and I can certainly believe it. Even though I'm sure she would irritate the hell out of me as a real person, as a character I enjoyed reading about her, and KMM gave her a unique voice which I could immediately tell apart from Kat and Christian (the other two POVs we get in this novel).

The main issue I have, however, is I'm not sure what direction the author wants to go with Dani's series. At first glance, you'd probably think, oh, 14-year-old female protagonist, urban fantasy genre, post-apocalyptic setting, this must be a YA book!

Um, but it's not. Way not. Like the rest of the Fever series, Iced is meant for adults. And here's where I'm a bit confused as to why she chose a child to be her protagonist for this trilogy.

I also wouldn't categorize this as "paranormal romance" in a million years, at least without feeling twenty different kinds of dirty and wrong. If this does turn out to be a PR, of the three men in Dani's life, only the idea of one of them ending up with her is tolerable to me and doesn't trigger a gag reflex. The other two, a creepy stalker-ish 20-something-year-old "death by sex" Unseelie prince and an overbearing, controlling immortal older man (subjective age probably 30s or so) just give me all kinds of creepy pedo-vibes. Do they seriously have to give her candy, too? Ick.

Any way you look at it, this book is published in modern western times for a modern western audience and in modern western society, 14 years old is still a child. While there is nothing too explicit in this novel, reading about Dani constantly getting stripped to her underwear around these guys and them all getting hard-ons and possessive instincts while looking at or thinking about one day having sex with her and taking her virginity gives me all kinds of uncomfortable feelings. The iffy vibes practically rolled off the page and into my face, and it's hard to shake.

It makes me wonder if KMM will jump a few years ahead in the next book. It'll probably be the wise thing to do if she wants to continue in this vein. If nothing else, it certainly provides a talking point, because aside from a unique main character and her having a different voice, nothing else in this novel really stood out for me. The story was okay, I liked it but it was a bit predictable. Everyone spends the whole book trying to figure out the mystery of why certain places in Dublin are being iced, but not even halfway through I already guessed the reason. The one mystery I can't solve? Why Ryodan, who has experienced so much after living thousands of years, can do everything better than Dani, has all kinds of resources at his fingertips, would need to enlist the help of a 14-year-old girl to handle his problems.