Shadows - Ilsa J. Bick 2.5 stars. As I'd hoped, this series got back on track in delivering more action and zombie survival goodness, meanwhile dialing back on the romantic melodrama.

If only there hadn't been such a lack of cogent progression to the story. It hasn't been that long since I read the first book, but I still felt as if I was missing something. I spent half the time trying to figure out what the hell was going on with the different factions in the novel, trying to keep track of allegiances and betrayals.

It didn't help that the book was so fast-paced. Normally I wouldn't complain about such a good thing, but the author's handling of this was really strange and distracting. She's thrown in a few more characters to keep track of in this sequel, which still would have been okay if the points-of-view weren't jumping around so constantly and frenetically.

Yes, this frequent switching back and forth along with almost every single chapter ending in a cliffhanger provided lots of suspense, but I quickly tired of being jerked around so much, especially when sometimes the POV would change only after a few pages.

Also, be aware -- this book is very gory. Not just violent gory, but pretty nasty disgusting gory too, and involving all manner of bodily fluids. I liked how this gave it a really good zombie vibe, and it's for similar reasons why I like good zombie movies and shows like the Walking Dead, but I have a pretty strong stomach for this stuff and there were still a few scenes here that I felt were pretty gross.