Prince of Thorns  - Mark  Lawrence Themes in this book will be familiar to fans of fantasy. A boy on his journey to manhood. A lost prince fighting for his birthright. A tale of revenge. And so on. All wrapped up in this nice little package which probably won't take you more than a few days to read.

And yet, all these themes are laced with a twist. Prince of Thorns will probably be unlike any fantasy novel you've ever read.

Like other reviewers have warned, this book is dark, and it is violent. You'll likely be disgusted and repulsed by the main character, Jorg. Personally, I found his characterization rather weaker than I would have liked. I don't normally mind antiheroes, but I did spend the entire time reading this book trying to decide whether or not Jorg is a true psychopath or just a hormonal kid taking the whole teen angst thing a tad too far. If I had to read about his hands "itching" for his dagger or the hilt of his sword one more time, I thought I was going to scream.

The story, however, I found riveting. I love the style of the narration, and the author's refreshing take on dark fantasy. If the book had been a little longer, I wonder if more of the world and the characters could have been explored.