The Isle of Blood - Rick Yancey Cross posted to The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/2013/08/book-revew-isle-of-blood-by-rick-yancey.html

After having positive experiences with both the first two books in The Monstrumologist series, I eagerly anticipated getting my hands on the third book. This probably explains why I wasn't entirely prepared for my disappointed reaction when I finished. Don't get me wrong; on it's own and outside any biases or pre-conceived notions, this book is a solid horror novel for young adults. But compared to the The Monstrumologist and even The Curse of the Wendigo, I have to say it fell quite a bit short.

The book starts off in a similar way as the others, teasing the next horrifying monster that our characters will encounter next. In this case, it's news clippings and reports about "red rain" and bloody raw meat falling from the sky. These incidents and the disgusting nidus, nests made of human parts and poisonous sputum, are the only evidence of the creature known as "the Faceless One of a Thousand Faces" or Typhoeus magnificum. For monster hunters like Pellinore Warthrop, it is considered the "Holy Grail of Monstrumology."

When a mysterious package shows up at the monstrumologist's door, our protagonist and narrator Will Henry witnesses firsthand how exposure to its gruesome contents rapidly turn the hapless courier who delivered it into a mindless, rotting horror. Dr. Warthrop, recognizing what's inside the package as a nidus, takes Will Henry on a race to follow the trail and track down the magnificum.

I didn't think this book was as impressive as its predecessors, for a couple reasons. Firstly, I'm not sure if this is merely a byproduct of Will Henry growing up over the course of the series to become a teenager in this novel, but this was the first time I actually found his character annoying. By design, he was moody, whiny and childish. I also sensed a shift in his narration style to become more abstract and ineffective, especially since we have so many more scenes in this book involving flashbacks, dreams, and delirious visions.

Secondly, my favorite character Dr. Pellinore Warthrop was largely absent for a big chunk of the story. Interesting things happen when he's around, so when he's not, all we're left with is Will Henry being mopey and feeling sorry for himself. While I can understand that this book is supposed to a deeper exploration into the relationship between the two of them, I can't help but think there had to be a better way to accomplish this. The inaction in the first part of the book was a letdown compared to the action and suspense I'd grown used to from this series, and really only the opening and the ending managed to come close.

On the bright side, I thought this was the most humorous out of the three books so far, with more light moments than I expected to balance out the depressing and melodramatic. While I considered this a positive point, The Isle of Blood just had a very different feel from rest of the series, with many departures from what I thought was the norm for these books. Like I said, it wasn't bad, but I can't deny I was expecting something maybe a little more fast-paced and entertaining, and a little less subdued.