Beyond the Shadows - Brent Weeks Wasn't the grand finale that I was hoping for, but I liked it. Very often, I find myself smitten with the first book of a series only to find that the rest of the books that follow don't live up to it. It's especially true with trilogies, and this one was no exception.

Still, it did a good job of tying up all the loose ends and bringing everything together, even though there were a few story lines I felt went nowhere and on the bigger scheme of things served as nothing more than filler.

Also, there's something I noticed about Brent Week's writing that constantly jolts me out of my reading groove and seriously interrupts any flow the book has going. I mentioned in my review of the last book in this series that he seems to have this tendency to make his characters say or crack jokes at the most random and inappropriate times. Perhaps this might have a lot to do with it, but I also noticed that sometimes the language he uses feels "off". I notice it's usually Weeks' use of modern or juvenile vernacular that does it. Just off the top of my head, nothing kills immersion faster for me than seeing multiple characters use the word "butt" repeatedly, like "staring at her butt", "it was a nice butt", etc. Just a personal pet peeve of mine, when I'm reading fantasy.

I still enjoyed reading this though, and I would recommend the trilogy as a whole to fans of darker fantasy, especially if you like stories about assassins and magic.